Admission to the Library
- All students must use their own College Student ID Cards (student cards) to enter the Library. Library staff may refuse entrance to students without a valid student card.
- Student cards are not transferable. The students must report loss of their student cards to the Registry and Library immediately to prevent them from being used by other people. The students will be held responsible for loan of library materials made before they have reported loss of their student cards to the Library.
Each student has the following library privileges which are not transferable to, or used on behalf of, other students:
- Borrowing and reading privileges are granted to all registered students of the College.
- Course reserves materials are available for teaching, academic, and curriculum development purposes.
- The use of library facilities:
- Study area is for reading and studying purposes only.
- Self-help photocopying and printing machine is available in the Library. Students may obtain photocopies of materials at cost provided there is no infringement of copyright law.
- AV equipment is provided for the use of Library AV materials. Headphones are available at the Circulation Counter for use in the Library and must be returned after use to the Circulation Counter.
Holders of a valid student card are eligible to borrow library materials according to the following conditions:
- All lendable library materials must be checked out at the Circulation Counter or the self-check machine before they can be taken out of the Library. Any infringement of this regulation may lead to disciplinary action or prosecution.
- A valid student card must be presented when borrowing library materials.
- Borrowing privileges vary depending on the programmes the students have enrolled in and items on loan.
- The students may renew their loans online, the number of renewal and renewal loan periods depend on the library items. All renewals must be completed online or via the self-check machine on or before their due dates.
- The students should take responsibility to report loss or damages of library items at the Circulation Counter.
- Overdue fines for late return Library materials will be calculated according to the library opening hours (except for laptop loans) and will be charged accordingly.
- An overdue item that has reached the maximum overdue fine of HK$700 for laptop computers and HK$50 for other library items is assumed lost. The student will be charged with a total amount of the replacement cost of the lost item, which is HK$5,000 for a laptop computer, a processing fee of HK$60 and the maximum overdue fine. All reported lost items, even if found later, will remain the property of the Library.
- The students with outstanding library fine will have their borrowing privileges suspended temporarily and may be placed on administrative suspension until all library bills and fines have been paid and all overdue loans have been returned.
The use of library materials and facilities is subject to data protection legislation, copyright law and vendor licence agreements. All students must observe the applicable copyright law and the terms of any vendor licence agreements for materials they use, including print materials, electronic resources and materials in all other formats. Serious infringement in photocopying, scanning or downloading of copyrighted material may lead to civil action or criminal prosecution.
Conduct of Library Users
- The Library is a place for study and research work. All students should maintain a quiet learning and research environment.
- Mobile phones, pagers, and other beeping/ringing devices must be put on silent mode in the Library at all times.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in the Library.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed in the Library.
- All filming, recording, or taking photos in the Library must only be conducted with prior approval by the Library staff.
- Reservation of seats is not permitted. Personal property like books left unattended on tables will be removed by library staff without prior notice to the owners.
- Personal belongings must not be left unattended in the Library. The Library does not hold any responsibility for the loss of personal belongings in the Library.
- All library furniture, equipment, and library materials must be kept clean. All library furniture and equipment should not be relocated; they are to be kept in their original positions.
- Mutilation of library materials is a serious offence. Offenders will be charged the full replacement plus administration costs and will be suspended from library privileges with cases referred to the Student Affairs Office for handling.
- In using library photocopiers, the Hong Kong Copyright law must be observed. Reproduction or duplication of audio-visual materials, computer software and copyrighted Internet resources is strictly prohibited. Students are solely responsible for any legal consequences of possible copyright infringement.
- Students will be held responsible for loss or damage of any library materials whilst in their charge.
- Students who refuse to pay for library books damaged or lost, or repeatedly refuse to observe regulations will be barred from entering the Library. The Library reserves the right to exclude any person who has infringed any of the library regulations from entering into the Library.
- Any student who violates the Library Regulations or acts in any way which may interfere with the use of the Library or with the normal routine of the Library may be excluded from the Library for a set period of time determined by the Library staff.