The Research Office has set up one Research Workstation located at the Library, with the help of the Library and Administrative Office (IT). The Research Workstation provides free access to two of the mainstream research data analysis software for our fellow staff and students. The Research Workstation is now installed with one NVivo, and one SPSS, and is prioritized to be used by staff and students for research-related purposes. The setup of the Research Workstation is an initial step of promoting research culture in the College and providing support to staff and students on conducting various research projects.
- NVivo is a mainstream qualitative data analysis computer software, which is designed to help researchers to organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured or qualitative data for example, interviews, open-ended survey responses, journal articles, social media, and web content.
- SPSS, or Statistical Product and Service Solutions, is a mainstream quantitative data analysis computer software, which is designed to be used for interactive, or batched, statistical analysis, and can also be used for data documentation
Booking of the Research Workstation
- 2 Research Workstations are available for booking online: Room Booking & SPSS/NVivo Booking (Select "1 people" for Maximum Room Capacity to proceed)
- Book the Workstation with the software (SPSS or NVivo) you need. Each workstation has only either SPSS or NVivo but NOT both;
- Each user can book up to 2 hours per session;
- Each user can make 1 session of booking per day;
- Bookings are available 7 calendar days in advance.
Time Available for Booking
When the library is open.
- Although the Workstations can be used without booking, students are strongly advised to book them before using; otherwise, they may be asked to leave by Library staff or users who have made a prior booking.
Conduct of Users
- All data will be erased upon re-booting. Therefore, you are strongly advised to save the computer files that you want to an external device or to email to yourselves before shutting down the computer.
- Do NOT add, remove or modify any hardware or software in the Workstations.
- Use the Workstations solely for academic or educational purposes.
- Observe the Hong Kong Copyright Law. You are responsible for any consequences arising from inappropriate uploading or downloading of any copyright-protected computer files.
- The library is not responsible for any leakage of personal data or data lost due to hardware or hardware failures.
- Users should shut down the computer and leave promptly at the end of their booking period.
- Valuables should not be left unattended in the Workstations. The College is not responsible for any loss or damage to personal items.
- Any damages of software, furniture and equipment in the Workstations should be reported to the library immediately. In case of misuse of the software, furniture and equipment, the users will be held responsible for the total cost incurred for repair or replacement.
Important Notes to Users
- The Library may refuse bookings to students who have failed to observe the Library’s rules and regulations.
(Updated on 15 October 2020)